Frequently Asked Questions
We expect the following from our clients:
- To provide identification each visit
- To provide confirmation of monthly income and expenses as requested by the case worker
- To remain in the waiting room until called so that we can provide each client with a private consultation
- To take only the food and items allotted to you (signs are posted with limits on all items)
- To come only as often as you need to or every three weeks at most
- To leave shopping carts and buggies in the waiting area (or just inside the door) until you are finished
- To leave pets outside
Call us 905-637-3893 and we will do whatever we can to help you based on your needs. Sometimes we are able to connect you with our partners for special needs like bedding or eyeglasses.
Generally once every three weeks, however we do make exceptions depending on your circumstances and needs.
You will come to the food bank at 5040 Mainway, Unit 9 in Burlington on Monday to Friday, 9:00AM to 11:30AM. You do not need an appointment, and can simply walk-in during operating hours.
What happens at the food bank when I come?
We will invite you into our office for a brief interview where we will ask you for some information and identification. During the interview, we are looking for ways to help you including:
- giving you information about other services available to you, such as where to get clothing, shelter, how to apply for housing etc.
- being your advocate – helping you with other agencies and the government to get the assistance you need and qualify for
- coaching – advice on how to save and manage money, help applying for benefits etc.